Children's Dentistry in Stouffville
Developing good oral habits during childhood is crucial for the lifelong maintenance of healthy and attractive teeth. Many people think that baby teeth are not important and don't require care because they will not stay into adulthood, but baby teeth are actually very important for proper development of adult teeth!
It is generally advised for children to have their first dental appointment around the time that they turn 1 year old, so bring your child to our Stouffville dental office as soon as you can! During a children’s dental appointment, our Stouffville children's dentist may run a primary examination of their teeth and gums, a dental cleaning with topical fluoride, or an introduction to an oral hygiene routine that can be performed at home. Learning preventative care helps towards maintaining healthy and happy smiles.
During your child's first visit, our Stouffville children's dentist will:
- Examine their mouth, teeth, and gums.
- Evaluate adverse habits like thumb-sucking.
- Check to see if they need fluoride.
- Teach you about cleaning their teeth and gums.
- Suggest a schedule for regular dental visits.
How to reduce your child's dental anxiety and fear
Bringing your child in to our Stouffville dental clinic as early as possible allows them time to get used to appointments and can reduce the amount of dental anxiety that they feel later on in their childhood and even into adulthood. Also, kids are known to have a fear of the dentist, so here are a few tips on how to help them overcome this fear:
- Start young: the earlier your children are exposed to the dentist, the better.
- Watch your words: Avoid words like "hurt" or "pain" when talking about the dentist, as this will only scare them. Try rephrasing when describing dental processes, such as saying that the dentist is "looking for sugar bugs" or "counting your teeth".
- Avoid bribery: try not to promise a treat if they behave well at the dentist because it might make them wonder what there is to be scared of or anxious about.
- Explain the importance of oral hygiene: teach your child that good oral health is necessary so that they can continue to eat and smile with no problems.
Our team at Hoover Park Dental is well experienced in children's dental care and is happy to provide dental services for all family members at our dental office. We are committed to having great first dental visits and building lasting confidence and positive relationships with our dental professionals. Our Stouffville dental team can accommodate dental care for children, adolescents, and special needs patients. If you or a family member requires special assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Book an appointment with our children's dental team at Hoover Park Dental today for a thorough examination of your child's dental health. We always welcome new patients from Stouffville, Ballantrae, Uxbridge and the surrounding areas.